The SSD Review uses benchmark software called PCMark Vantage x64 HDD Suite to create testing scenarios that might be used in the typical user experience. There are eight tests in all and the tests performed record the speed of data movement in MB/s to which they are then given a numerical score after all of the tests are complete. The simulations are as follows:
- Windows Defender In Use
- Streaming Data from storage in games such as Alan Wake which allows for massive worlds and riveting non-stop action
- Importing digital photos into Windows Photo Gallery
- Starting the Vista Operating System
- Home Video editing with Movie Maker which can be very time consuming
- Media Center which can handle video recording, time shifting and streaming from Windows media center to an extender such as XBox
- Cataloging a music library
- Starting applications
SAMSUNG 840 250GB SSD PCMARK VANTAGE SCORING
The Samsung 840 SSD Total Point Score was 70770 points with a high transfer speed of 440MB/s when testing in Windows Media Player. In examining our SSD chart, we see that it places just behind the Corsair Force GS SSD and just above the OCZ Vertex 3 Max Iops and that is great company to keep.
Please keep in mind that our SSD Hierarchy is determined solely on PCMark Vantage HDD Suite placement alone and a similar look at other benchmarks may yield completely different SSD placement.
It is also good to remember that PCMark Vantage favors compressible data performance, more so than incompressible data, which helps in understand why the Samsung 840 places so highly. Conversely though, it is also nice to remember that we are looking at the performance of the very first TLC SSD release.