NxGn Data, a designer and producer of an entirely new generation of intelligent solid-state drives (SSDs), is announcing its presence to the storage world as it exits “stealth” mode. By offering intelligent SSD solutions that are based on its own proprietary SoC (system-on-chip) controllers, NxGn Data believes that it can eliminate storage bottlenecks by moving computational tasks closer to where the data resides, improving performance and the overall energy efficiency of enterprise storage systems. NxGn Data has also optimized its intelligent SSD solutions for M.2 and other small form factor cards that can present demanding size and/or power requirements.
NxGn Data, led by Founder and CEO Nader Salessi (formerly with Western Digital and STEC), was founded in June of 2013. Salessi is joined by Vladimir Alves as Co-Founder and CTO, and Richard Mataya as Co-Founder and SVP of SSD solutions. They have put together a team of over 40 storage professionals based in both Irvine, California and Hsinchu, Taiwan. This team is responsible for the successful design and commercialization of successive generations of SoC-based SSD controllers and products that have created industry benchmarks for others to aspire to. Since its inception, NxGn Data has already filed 18 new patents.
According to Salessi, ” This is one of the rare occasions in this industry when we were able to keep together a world-class team of SSD professionals with extensive system level expertise, so that they can continue developing next generation SSD solutions.”
With the Enterprise SSD market for Hyperscale Computing at $11 billion (and growing), NxGn has readied its core system-level knowledge and extensive experience to provide powerful technological leadership and innovation in these key areas:
- Innovations in architecture to deliver consistent performance and low power as required by Enterprise storage environments
- Best-in-class Variable Code Rate LDPC based ECC (Error Correction Code) to extract maximum endurance from employed Flash devices
- Advanced signal processing capability enabling the use of MLC and/or TLC NAND down to 1z-nm process geometries
- First in the industry with in-storage computation capability: In-Situ Processing
- Software defined media channel architecture enabling Flash agnostic SSD solutions
- Enablement of ultra-high capacity, low-cost TLC solutions for Cold Storage SSD
NxGn Data’s key technology will be made available for evaluation to an initial group of customers in late 2014. Fully operational FPGA-based samples are expected to be available in early 2015, with final production samples of SoC-based M.2 solutions later in 2015.
NxGn Data will introduce itself to the marketplace at the upcoming Flash Memory Summit, to be held 8/5 through 8/7 at the Santa Clara Convention Center in Santa Clara, California. You can visit NxGn Data at booth number 707.