The SSD Review uses benchmark software called PCMark Vantage x64 HDD Suite to create testing scenarios that might be used in the typical user experience. There are eight tests in all and the tests performed record the speed of data movement in MB/s to which they are then given a numerical score after all of the tests are complete. The simulations are as follows:
- Windows Defender In Use
- Streaming Data from storage in games such as Alan Wake which allows for massive worlds and riveting non-stop action
- Importing digital photos into Windows Photo Gallery
- Starting the Vista Operating System
- Home Video editing with Movie Maker which can be very time consuming
- Media Center which can handle video recording, time shifting and streaming from Windows media center to an extender such as XBox
- Cataloging a music library
- Starting applications
SAMSUNG 840 PRO 512GB SSD PCMARK VANTAGE PERFORMANCE
The 840 Pro flew through Vantage HDD Suite testing with a Total Score high of 75589 points which is the highest score recorded to date and beats the next in line by over 2000 points. The high transfer speed recorded was 428MB/s while testing in Windows Media Center and, for the first time, 400MB/s was reached in a high of three different test activities. In fact, this is also the first time we have ever seen any SSD hit SATA 3 performance in all but one activity.
A quick look at our PCMark Vantage SATA 3 Hierarchy Chart shows the Samsung 840 Pro, not only being on the top of the list but also, it is evident that it just may remain there for awhile.
With a little free space before our Final Analysis, here is another peak at the 840 Pro disassembled. A quick click on our pictures will show some incredible high res shots: