LATEST UPDATE 19 Feb 18 WITH:
PREVIOUS UPDATE ON 23 FEB 13 WITH:
Welcome to The SSD Review and congratulations on finding the internets most sought after resource in the optimization of solid state drives; The SSD Optimization Guide.
The SSD Optimization Guide consists of several optimizations that will increase the longevity and performance of your SSD, these ranging from very simple to somewhat advanced in nature. All optimizations have been laid out in a very easily understandable format, and many with detailed explanations as to reasoning for that ‘tweak’.
If you are considering the move to SSDs and this happens to be your first ‘read’ in trying to learn such things as what an SSD can do for you, whether it will improve productivity, and difficulty in installation and purchase, you have come to the right place. Migrating from a hard drive to an SSD is, by far,the single most important upgrade you can make to ANY computer in order to achieve a substantial visible improvement in performance.
For instance, the average computer takes in excess of two minutes to start, whereas, the average system containing an SSD starts in about fifteen seconds. The simple move to an SSD has already given you back a minute and 45 seconds each time you start your computer which might not seem like much but, if you start your computer five times a day, you just got back 2.21 days of your life each year. Is the upgrade worth it now?
To help you along, we have compiled a few articles that may assist and can be found here:
- BENEFITS OF A SOLID STATE DRIVE – AN SSD PRIMER
- SSD COMPONENTS AND MAKE UP – AN SSD PRIMER
- SSD TYPES AND FORM FACTORS – AN SSD PRIMER
- SSD ADVERTISED PERFORMANCE – AN SSD PRIMER
- SSD MIGRATION OR FRESH INSTALL – AN SSD PRIMER
- GC AND TRIM IN SSDS EXPLAINED – AN SSD PRIMER
The SSD Optimization Guide is dedicated to those of us who get stuck and continue trying to solve a problem, only to realize at 3:30am that they have to be up for work in an hour or so.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY
Before going any further, we think it is fair to advise that there is no need to optimize your computer, once you have migrated to an SSD and you will still realize an amazing performance increase from the original hard drive. Although we have done our best to explain our optimization choices and the procedure for each, following any of the optimizations listed is of your own choice and we cannot be held responsible for any system problems or damage that may occur to your computer.
Optimizations range from extremely simple to rather complicated where the reader is shown methods of altering their systems registry and, unfortunately, we haven’t all the same skill level to perform all optimizations. If you choose to complete the optimizations, please be careful and follow this Guide exactly.
Last but not least, the following optimizations have been proven to significantly increase the performance of an SSD and many have returned with words of thanks which may attest to the Guides success.
Should you make a mistake, we have found that there are four escapes to any mistake made as a result of trying these tweaks:
- Call on the experience of the site and members who have been through similar ordeals and have the knowledge and background to assist;
- Reboot your computer while quickly tapping F8. This will bring you into the Advanced Boot Options where you can select options such as ‘Repair Your Computer’, ‘Last Known Good Configuration’ or booting into ‘Safe Mode’ where you can do a ‘System Restore’ to an earlier time;
- Reboot your computer with your Windows 7 disk in the drive. Boot to the disk select the installation you want and then click on ‘repair’; or
- Complete a clean install of Windows 7 which, although time intensive, will confirm that your problem is solved and the system is in tip-top shape.
Our website contains a SSD Forum Page with some of the greatest SSD minds in the business. One of the most important things one can do before starting this process is to register and know that our team is there should the unexpected occur.
OUR SSD STORE
The SSD Optimization Guide wouldn’t be complete without providing you with a resource to find what you want in an SSD quickly and easy so we have created Our SSD Store. A quick glance inside will allow your selection of solid state drives which can be find tuned in selection of specific form factors.
Pictures within this article have been reduced in resolution in order to ensure quick loading of this report. Should you require a high resolution image, simply click on the picture for a close up.
Here is a quick excerpt that we found on Overclock.Net recently that provides just a bit of support!
Now let’s get into The SSD Optimization Guide!!