Prepping IT As A Service For 2020 – VMware Virtualization & Cloud At LSI AIS 2013

The infrastructure going into 2020 will be based around the hybrid cloud model – utilizing both public cloud and private (or in-house) cloud together – which gives business and IT scalability, lower costs, fault-tolerance, enhanced security with user data, and the ability to use both public and private clouds as a single entity despite architecture differences.


While virtualization has expanded computationally, there is still a need for advancement in storage, and even more so in networking. Combine all this and management gives way to automation; however, the hybrid cloud model is still in its infancy and has not been widely adopted, but is rather a directional approach to prepare for the future. These four concepts need to occur for the software-defined data center.



About 30% of an average organization is segmented for IT innovation compared to the rest of the 70% which are resources spent on maintenance and the hassle of keeping everything running. The impact of virtualization brings these numbers to 40% and 60% respectively. Through automation (among other factors) the ITaaS (IT as a Service) goal is to bring this number into a 50%/50% balance so everything maintenance-wise is done quickly and efficiently while liberating resources for innovation.


The exclamation point here is that while a 20% does not seem too large, competitively it is enormous as companies rely on innovation for success, and furthermore the lack of innovation and more resources tied to IT maintenance means a negative effect on the entire business, not just a specific portion(s).


Delivering next-gen applications depends on programmable & policy-based methods, meaning an application with a  policy associated with the data center/cloud needs to be able to give back to the line of business that started provisioning the application regardless of the acquired information. This is one of the biggest challenges in the overall proposal of IT in 2020, and is key in providing IT operators with simply, centralized, automated control – especially useful in geographical matters.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *