You may not see this for long (and its definitely not common) but you get a freebee simply for reading! Over the last little while, we have been assisting with beta testing new benchmark software called Anvil Storage Utilities which is an absolutely amazing SSD benchmarking utility. Not only does it have a preset SSD benchmark, but also, it has included such things as endurance testing and threaded I/O read, write and mixed tests, all of which are very simple to understand and utilize in our benchmark testing.
Once again, very high Total Score are reflected in Anvil Storage Utilities, even though the IOPS count has dropped just a bit. In the case of Anvil, the score is the product of consistently high transfer speeds, IOPS as well as disk access times (Resp. Time).
The SSD Review uses benchmark software called PCMark Vantage x64 HDD Suite to create testing scenarios that might be used in the typical user experience. There are eight tests in all and the tests performed record the speed of data movement in MB/s to which they are then given a numerical score after all of the tests are complete. The simulations are as follows:
- Windows Defender In Use
- Streaming Data from storage in games such as Alan Wake which allows for massive worlds and riveting non-stop action
- Importing digital photos into Windows Photo Gallery
- Starting the Vista Operating System
- Home Video editing with Movie Maker which can be very time consuming
- Media Center which can handle video recording, time shifting and streaming from Windows media center to an extender such as XBox
- Cataloging a music library
- Starting applications
PLEXTOR M5 PRO SSD PCMARK VANTAGE SCORING
The Plextor M5 Pro attained a high Vantage Total Point Score of 67352 points with a high transfer speed of 369 MB/s while testing in Windows Media Center. very encouraging for the M5 Pro is the fact that SATA 3 speeds were reached in six of the eight tests as seen here:
Although the M5 Pro did not place in our top 25 of PCMark Vantage Total Point Scoring, we thought it important to display a cross section of SSDs that had similar results: