Yet another SM951 speed problem...

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by Martin Schüren, Nov 13, 2016.

1. Martin Schüren

Martin Schüren New Member

Hi altogether,

I am new to this forum and have been reading for some time now, as I was looking to set up a new system and was unsure which SSD to chose from. Awesome forum, always amazed at how deep some of you guys get into this stuff..

Decided to go with a SM 951 256gb and Serial-Number MZVLV256...

System is as follows:
    MSI x99s gaming 7
    i7 6800k
    Just one graphics card on PCIe 1
    no further SATA drives connected so far

Clean installtion on formatted SSD which was recognized correctly within bios and windows setup routine.

Speed benchmarks are however pretty disappointing, see below for some benchmarks:

AS SSD

AS SSD 1.jpg
    Chrystaldiskmark

Crystaldiskmark 1.jpg
    Atto
    ATTO 1.jpg

Questions:
    1. Can anyone tell me if I own the AHCO or NVME Version of the SM951? Googling for this specific Serial Number MZVLV didn't really reveal anything convincing...
    2. It amost seems like writin speed is somehow capped at about 300 mb/s...although the M.2 AND mainboard doe support PCIe x 4 and there are no other cards apart from the graphics card...

Bios settings are as follows: M.2 source link is set to auto and M.2 PCH strap is set to PCH PCIE...

Will check if booting to safe mode will change anything and report back in some minutes...

EDIT: Just checked for the same tests under safe mode. Tiny improvements, not really worth for me to put in screenshots I assume...would that be an indicator of actual hardware rather than windows/driver problems??

THANKS in advance for your much appreciated help, communities such as this one are really an awesome place for these specific issues!!

Maetes

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  2. Martin Schüren

Martin Schüren New Member

Aiaaaaa,

having done some further research it seems like I got the PM 951 and not the SM951, thus the VLV Serialnumber...

Having checked specifications for this model, 1000 mb/s reading and 300mb/s writing seems pretty much the maximum I can expect.

A little disappointing after having seen what is possible with the newer models, however probably plenty enough coming from a sata SSD.

Unless someone has any further comments on the read/write speed posted this can probably be considered solved.

Maetes

3. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

I am sorry. Did you say that you have got better data transfer speeds now?