Where is my Hard drive space going?

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by Ron-e-g, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Ron-e-g

Ron-e-g New Member

I seem to be loosing a lot of SSD HD space. For instance, yesterday I had roughly 64 GB free of 238 today it's only 48.4. I can't see where I would have lost that much. No big downloads I'm aware of. I did a reg clean and utilized the Tweaking.com windows repair program (in safe mode) also I backed-up the reg prior, and created a restore point . This is my OS HD and I try to keep it minimized for the Music recording I do on My system. I also have a 120GB SSD, And 1TB HDD installed to carry the load. Any suggestions where to look for the unexplained lost drive space?
    Sorry maybe this should be moved to the beginners category?
    Thanks,
    Ron

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
  2. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

System restore working in the background I might guess... I never use backup and restore with SSDs.

3. Ron-e-g

Ron-e-g New Member

Hum..My Backups are always done to a separate Drive..Never the OS Drive. This is the drive in question...The OS drive. It's also where I keep all my Music recording and Mixing programs. SSD, Toonetrack, Guitar Rig, Gear Box, POD Farm, and the like.

4. TheOnlyRick

TheOnlyRick New Member

In Windows, System restore takes up space on the drive it's enabled.

How big is your C:\Windows\winsxs folder?
    What about C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution fodler?

Have you run Disk Cleanup?

5. Ron-e-g

Ron-e-g New Member

Hey OnlyRick, winsxs is greater than 13.4 GB, SoftwareDistribution is 1.14 GB Disk cleanup on that drive is minimal space savings unless I select some items that I'm not too sure about.
    Side note, I was getting a warning window just prior to running the Tweaking.com windows repair program. Fact is that is what prompted me to run the program. It was warning that Window was running low on memory! I have never seen that before on this machine.
    Ron

6. TheOnlyRick

TheOnlyRick New Member

Ahhhh... I've never worried about Disk Cleanup getting rid of stuff I need. At home and at work I always click the shield 'Clean up system files' button, and always tick all the boxes. (The biggest thing you risk is losing the ability to uninstall Windows Updates and that thumbnails will need to be regenerated.)

I would certainly trust the Windows Cleanup much more than any 3rd party disk cleanup apps.

I've certainly deleted the Software Distribution folder a few times and I think I've deleted the WinSXS previously.

(Note that the old adage that empty hard drives run faster is true for old mechanical drives, it's not true for SSDs.)

7. Ron-e-g

Ron-e-g New Member

OK I will delete them. Any idea why the windows low memory alert Rick? Update: When I try to delete the Winsxs File I get this; What is this.JPG When I try to delete the software distribution folder I'm not allowed as it is in use.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  8. TheOnlyRick

TheOnlyRick New Member

To delete the SoftwareDistribution folder you need to stop a couple of services from running. Instructions are here: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/software-distribution-folder-in-windows

The WinSXS folder instructions are here: http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/clean-winsxs-folder-to-save-space

Low disk space means your C: drive is running low, and the links above will help with that.

BUT: If you're getting a 'low memory message', that means your PC thinks it's running out of RAM - and that's an entirely different fix that's needed. To fix that you need to have fewer applications starting automatically at startup, and running in general. Or, you can install more RAM.

9. Ron-e-g

Ron-e-g New Member

Thanks for the link. I'll be reading that. As for The apps. in start I try to keep them slim. I have most disabled. This PC has 24 GB of ram.

10. TheOnlyRick

TheOnlyRick New Member

11. Ron-e-g

Ron-e-g New Member

Cool app. Thanks

Ron