Variety of SSD manufacturers

Discussion in 'SSD Manufacturers' started by FiftyOne, Jan 5, 2012.

1. FiftyOne

FiftyOne Guest

I wondered about the long term viability of ssd manufacturing for many of the players in the market long term.

Initially, jmicron, a semiconductor developer, modified USB controllers for use in consumer ssd's. They have now fallen away as a major competitor in this field since it really took off a few years ago.

Sandforce started to develop SSD specific chips that far out performed jmicron & quickly became the leading controller developer, supplying to any & all who wanted to buy a quality controller for use in their own ssd device.

OCZ have wrapped up the majority of their business on other sectors, even their successful DRAM division, to pursue ssd's, using primarily SF controllers to do so. At one point, the majority of the SSD controller market was dominated by SF. Other big manufacturers in the market currently are Corsair, OWC (working closely with Apple), Crucial (working with Micron), Runcore & Kingston making a name in the market.

Other controller manufactures in the market are Intel, Samsung, Micron & Indilinx. Recently LSI brought SF & OCZ likewise with Indilinx. Apple have also recently brought a flash semiconductor company for their stable of smart devices.

So, where am I going with all this? Well, there are HEAPS of products in the market now from many companies that use the same technology (controllers & flash) & companies I've never even heard of. So is the market becoming full of generic products? Many manufacturers are struggling to differentiate themselves from others as the components are the same.

In the mid 80's, it was incredibly easy to be a semi-conductor company as the market segments were spaced & everyone was using experimental standards & technology to make chips. Over time, companies have folded & merged so now there is only a handful of chip makers for flash & semiconductor manufacturing. The biggest being Intel, AMD(ATI), Nvidia, ARM, Samsung, TI & Hynix.
    Semiconductor industry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Semiconductor consolidation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Semiconductor sales leaders by year - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We have also seen previously a market in HDD's where 2 big players. WD & seagate, manufacturer the majority of drives & drive components while also, at times buy smaller competitors. Similarly in the IT market with the dot com boom. Google & facebook are also buying up all sort of smaller companies all the time too.

So I suppose my question is, what do we think will happen longish term in the SSD market with its manufacturers? I can personally see OCZ sticking around for a long time as its their life blood now & they are being VERY proactive with their products. What about all the others? the smaller guys & so on?

2. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Some smaller companies have proven that they can compete against the big guys when it comes to pure performance, look at Patriot with the Wildfire range for an example. OK, some might argue that Patriot is not a smaller company, but I'm comparing it to the likes of Intel, Samsung, etc.

I think there will always be room for smaller companies, for as long as their products are innovative and competitively priced.

3. renosablast

renosablast Guest

I kinda tried to make a similar point in a comment on one of the articles announcing one of these new "players" in the SSD field. All of this competition would be good if it truly served to drive prices down (which it may EVENTUALLY); but in the short-term all of this duplication of others' efforts is confusing to consumers. The benefits of different brands with the same components and the same performance and the same price are questionable at best. Reputation is everything in the PC component market; and all of these relative unknowns and lesser knowns venturing into the fray will struggle to compete with those with already-established favorable reputations. Generally accepted economic principles would dictate that the only way for these types to compete would be at a lower price point; yet they do not even appear to be doing that. In the long-term, this will only help the established players. In the short-term the cosumers are being bombarded with "too many choices".

4. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

It's difficult for the smaller companies to produce products with similar specs to the big names, AND keep costs low enough in order to be able to compete. The glory of capitalism!

5. Computurd

Computurd Guest

Eventually these battles will be fought out by OEMs. The biggest and hardest market to get into is OEM. you want your SSDs on the dell at best buy. Built in.
    thats the market. thing is though, only super uber reliable devices can enter this market. you have to have gold standard of reliability to play in that space.
    AND you do not have to necessarily be super fast. just reliable.
    so we see some BIG giants moving slowly...the HDD OEMS...they are taking their time, perfecting their products...the big ones, when they come to bear are going to blast some of the smaller fish right out of the water.
    And even the largest SSD manufacturers, outside of Intel and Micron/Crucial, are all vulnerable. they really aren't that big. a drop in the bucket compared to the big storage guys with 30 odd years in this buisness.
    This is why you see a big push from OCZ to get their own controllers. they know that if they do not get all of their stuff in-house, they will never get OEM status.
    OEM means you own the tech on your device pretty much entirely, and your products are integrated into other manufacturers devices when they are built (like Dell, Apple, any of the computer manufacturers)
    OEM gives you uber money, OEM also means long term success and ownage. without OEM status, long term viability is diminished.
    others will be relegated to smaller markets. so innovate or die...
    the field will level in a few years to a few big hitters. (imho)

CoreDue2046 likes this.
  6. CoreDue2046

CoreDue2046 New Member

I think, nowadays, the technology of SSD is far more advanced than few years before.

Competitive price become the main factor for you to choose small brands instead of big companies.

However, big brands got better warranty service (when I said maybe because some brands think they are big enough to ignore customer experience...which is that I hate for) 'cause nobody like their products without quality assurance.

For experimental use, I guess you can try small brands and you could keep using them if there is no so much problems with the product.

After all, computer products are all about performance and customer service. Then, you can talk about the competitive price.

I personally think specification is just datasheet and actual performance will speak for themselves.