Unable to install Windows 10 on SSD

Discussion in 'SSD Beginners Guide and Discussion' started by Bobghw, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Bobghw

Bobghw New Member

Have built new pc

Asrock fatality H170 performance MB

16gb DDR4 ram

I5 6600 cpu

other components not installed until after OS is loaded.

PC boots and the win 10 log appears for a couple of minutes then the pc restarts and nothing else happens??
    I can connect old sata drive to same connectors and when I boot after a couple of minutes I get the first install options screen.
    So why won't it install to SSD?

2. renosablast

renosablast Moderator Staff Member

Go into the motherboard's BIOS and make sure that the SATA storage controller is set to AHCI mode. From the main BIOS screen, click on the "Advanced" tab at the top. From the next menu, click on "Storage Configuration". On the next page, the second item down in the menu is "SATA Mode Selection". Make sure that "AHCI" is displayed. If not, toggle to AHCI and save the settings and reboot. Report back with results.

3. Bobghw

Bobghw New Member

Thanks for the reply

But had already done that also clicked on SSD drive in advanced and specified that its an SSD not harddrive also tried changing boot mode to uefi for everything that didn't work either.
    Tried using extrnal optical drive plugged in to usb 2 port no luck tried creating different types of boot options using rufus for usb no luck.

Was able to connect both an SSHD and a Sata hard drive and get to the first couple of screens for install on both but when it started to load files the pc restarted and then nothing. This was the same for both dvd drives and usb.

4. renosablast

renosablast Moderator Staff Member

Microsoft has made Windows 10 its most proprietary operating system yet. Does it let you get to the screen where you need to enter your license key? And if so, if your license key was not purchased directly from Microsoft or an authorized dealer, you will have problems installing it. You cannot use a license key from another computer that had Windows 10 pre-installed, and want to reactivate on another computer.

Otherwise, you might want to format, or even secure erase the SSD using another computer before attempting to install again. Failed installation attempts can leave data on the drive that may cause problems with a subsequent install attempt. Formatting during install may miss something from the previous failed install attempt.

5. Bobghw

Bobghw New Member

Thanks for the reply
    I have a valid key purchased win last week so no issue there. Have contacted the vendor and will be returning the Mother board.