Two questions: one about Samsung Magician and the other about managing the paging file ...

Discussion in 'SSD Beginners Guide and Discussion' started by Alb1, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Alb1

Alb1 New Member

Hello,
    I have just installed a Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 MB, on my daughter's (old) Toshiba Satellite A200-1C5, Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 1.66 GHZ, 4 GB RAM (only 3 GB available, 1GB Hardware reserved, as its BIOS does not have the Memory Remap option) and Windows 7 64 bit.
    Before installing it I checked if TRIM is enabled by fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify obtaining 0. TRIM is enabled (and as for AHCI, this mode is set by default on this laptop).
    Afterwards, I launched Samsung Magician and it said: " ... AHCI mode is disabled for one or more SSD unit ... ", so, I installed Trimcheck (trimcheck-0.7-win64.exe) and run it a few times obtaining "TRIM appears to be WORKING!" demonstrating that, in my case, at least, Magician does not tell the truth. In addition Magician says that is "Impossible find SATA interface information". I wonder why. What do you say about that?
    However this SSD, in which I made two partitions: 35 GB for the O.S. and the remaining space for the Data, works all right, but I am a little confused about the Paging file ... With only 3 GB of RAM available I think that I cannot eliminate it ... . Is it better leave Windows manage it, or to customize it giving personal values? Take into account that my daughter wants to use this laptop with a Wacom Intuos Art graphics tablet ... What am I supposed to do? Best Regards

2. renosablast

renosablast Moderator Staff Member

As the chipset and BIOS of this laptop are only 32-bit, you will likely never get full functionality out of installing Windows 7 64-bit. Basic incompatibility from the get-go. Unfortunately if the Wacom Intuos Art graphics tablet requires Windows 7 64-bit, she will likely need to find a different laptop with 64-bit chipset and BIOS. Some of the older 32-bit laptops do not even have AHCI as an option in their BIOS, so that is likely the reason for the error messages in Magician. Looks like you need to go to a plan 'B'.

3. Alb1

Alb1 New Member

Hello, Thanks a lot for your advice. However this laptop seems able to manage Windows 7 64 bit very well. Certainly this is due to its Intel Core 2 Duo processor, which is a 64 bit one. As for the TRIM mode, it is certainly enabled. Trimcheck response doesn't leave space to any doubt. In addition, we don't have to forget that AHCI mode is set on this laptop by default (Impossible to choose IDE or Raid on it as Mshci does not give you any choice):)