The Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hameister, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Hameister

Hameister Guest

This is as off topic as it gets folks!

Welcome to "The Thread"

Almost daily, we'd like to chat about anything of interest to us. These thoughts generally come to mind in dedicated threads, and we feel badly for taking the thread "Off Topic".

This my friends, is a thread where EVERYTHING is off topic. Feel free to discuss what ever you wish. Perhaps you need to vent about your boss at work, (just keep it clean).

Maybe your wife/husband is naggin' you to distraction. Perhaps you just want to throw out a general question, like fishing, and see who bites.

It doesn't matter, it's all good, and it's all "ON TOPIC".

*I should note that this thread is a replacement for our original, and now infamous, "The Thread". The staff is not certain exactly what happened to the original. Apparently an accidental hard delete, but we're not even sure of that. The good news is that the very nature of this thread is such that it will rejuvenate in no time at all.

2. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

Guys I owe the team a world of apologies as I may have deleted the thread. Earlier today we were hit by an Asian spammer who was actually getting threads up faster than I could delete them. Somehow The Thread must have got caught in the mix. Again, a world of apologies and give me some time to try and get it back...no promises.

3. Hameister

Hameister Guest

No problem Les,...if you can recover it, that's great, if not, this one will pick up where the original left off. It's all good!

4. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

Ok guys...there is a solution. My last backup was three days ago so I can simply restore the forum from then but there are positives and negatives to that. Positive...The Thread is back Negative... Everything that occurred from the 26th is lost...except the thread eheheh

Opinions?

5. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Well, it seems to me, that there are so many posts, photos, reviews, etc. done within the past 3 days, that replacing them would be a real chore. Just the review that I did on the Cooler Master Storm Trooper Case, and subsequent mod, would take me several hours to rebuild.

"The Thread", by it's very nature, is just a place for people to blow off some steam, share opinions, etc. I can't think of anything within that thread that was of a critical nature. I'd say, let's just start this new one, and bid farewell to the old.

6. Sean

Sean Guest

I've now set a minimum wait between posts to 30 seconds, so this should stop spammers mass-flooding the forum. 30 seconds should also be fine for users also, as some forums have a minimum 60 second waiting period between writing one post and posting the next.

It's also worth noting that the Spam-O-Matic clean-up deletes all posts by a spammer, so it's just a matter of picking any post by that spammer and running Spam-O-Matic, which will then wipe every other post by that spammer.

7. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

I can just about imagine the sad, pathetic, friendless, bedroom dwellin', palm-abusin', sexless little twat, siting there in front of his lil' computer spamming away. I could easily beat the livin' crap out of a prat like that, and I'm not even a violent person!

8. Hameister

Hameister Guest

First, I wish you'd be honest, and tell us what you really think.

Second, what's your opinion re: Les's query in post #4?

9. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

1) I would throw the spammer to a pack of hungry dogs. They'd know what to do.

2) Any option that would kill your very detailed brand-new chassis thread, is not an option in my book.

10. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Thanks Mr_Bad Guy, but I really don't think that my one review thread is all that important. I just wouldn't replace it. But I do appreciate the compliment, ha!

11. Darcy

Darcy Guest

whatever is best for the forum that keeps pertinent data/threads/reviews; ~ that's my opinion : )
    { i'll take the hit on loss of posts ; ) }

12. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

The Thread itself is quite expendable like you said, we'll soon fill the new one.

BTW I hit 5.1GHz two days ago with 1.5 Vcore (I already mentioned it on my built's thread). Tortured the CPU with 10 runs of Intel Burn Test @ Very High stress level (4096MB sample). It didn't crash but it got really hot, some cores hit almost 100 degrees. Never gonna try it again for obvious reasons, I'm now back down to 4.7 @ 1.350 Vcore for everyday use. I may have already taken some months out of my CPU's life by doing so, but now I know more or less the ceiling of my CPU - at least with my current cooling.

13. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Kudos on the 5.1GHz, that is saying something using Intel Burn. And, you have more brass than me my friend. I don't use Intel Burn anymore, because I find it much too intense for most overclock scenarios.

It drives the cpu to temps way beyond that which is necessary for determining a stable over clock. I'm certain that you could reach the same stable 5.1GHz over clock, with the same voltage, running Prime95, and wouldn't exceed 85c.

Especially with a $575.00 piece of silicon....whew!

14. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

To tell you the truth Ham, the more I think about it, the more I regret doing it! Well, at least the chip didn't die on me... OK, I'm off to bed, I couldn't sleep earlier tonight but at least I'm working late tomorrow so I 'll still get my six hours or shuteye

15. Darcy

Darcy Guest

Bad, ~ i can't quite make out your avatar, ~ what the devil is it?

16. Hameister

Hameister Guest

A hard drive on fire.

17. Darcy

Darcy Guest

aah, ok.
    i reckon that would be in line with his "scarey" avs, then : )

18. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Oh yeah, all his avatars are either destructive, horrific, ugly, sick & twisted, or morose. That tells me he's probably a very decent, kind hearted person, with a suppressed need for violent expression.

19. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Nice one Ham lol! I'm just your regular Horror/Sci-Fi buff - and quite norm for that tag. There are others far worse than me! :D

20. Darcy

Darcy Guest

well,,, i do reckon a hdd on fire is scarey!