The SSD Review SSD Optimization Guide

Discussion in 'SSD Optimization Guide' started by The SSD Guy, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Hey Bad, welcome to the forums BTW! Good to have another "Bad" around! I use CCleaner wth no probs whatsoever. I personally have prefetch & superfetch disabled both for boot and applications. A nice little freeware app that allows you to set prefetch and superfetch without having to delve into the registry, can be found here:

SoftHardware: TweakPrefetch

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2012
  2. Hameister

Hameister Guest

I use Advanced System Care, in conjunction with CCleaner, on a Mushkin, an Intel, and Crucial SSD. No problems at all.

3. unityole

unityole Guest

hey guys, ive been lurking around the site for SSD reviews for at least several months now since late 2011, i must say im very pleased with the information i get here seems just as good as anandtech, not trying to compare or anything. i originally had seen this guide when i first purchased my SSD 5 months ago and there seems to be just a bit more for tweaks relating to power issues, especially for laptops.

heres the link.. How To Improve SSD performance on Intel Series 4, 5, 965 Chipsets (JJB Tweak) although im not very sure if its within forum rules to post it like this but i just want to share it. with that been said, i myself have tried the power tweak and it seems to work, at least 2-5% performance boost if you were to run benchmark before and after tweaks, and compare you'll see the difference.

4. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

I am familiar with these and have never included them as the degree of difficulty coupled with the probability of error doesn't equate to the performance gain. Welcome to the forums though and I have absolutely no problem with that posting for those who want to try it! Post often!!

5. alan1476

alan1476 Guest

You don't or have to use any of those programs like CCleaner or ASC , all they can do is cause problems, Windows has built in functions to do everything they do, learn your OS and you wont have to reformat because of of those programs accidentally deleted a system file. They are not needed.

6. renosablast

renosablast Guest

With all due respect, Alan, CCleaner for one does have its uses -- unless you have the Ultimate version of Windows not all features are available. I do not, however, recommend something like CCleaner to newbies or the inexperienced.

7. chispy

chispy Guest

Thank you for this optimization guide , very handy and useful. i find cccleaner very useful when in need to clean the registry from leftovers of uninstalled software , i had been using it for many years without a single problem , but as stated before people need to know how to use cccleaner or else it could cause trouble.

8. jimmyx27

jimmyx27 Guest

Wow this is great. Very helpful!

9. skarm

skarm Guest

Great guide. I learned lots!

10. oasis789

oasis789 Guest

Does anyone have any advice on cloning my OS partition to an SSD? Like programs to use etc. Wasn't mentioned in the migration section

11. renosablast

renosablast Guest

Do you already have an SSD? If not, several brands / models come with cloning software. Samsung, Kingston, and several others include the cloning software with many models. Otherwise, the most highly recommended and proven reliable software for cloning is Acronis TrueImage. This is a nice, reasonably priced software pkg that includes other tools such as a drive wiper (secure erase) feature, partition management tools, backup routines and scheduler, and more. Since Acronis TrueImage Home 2013 just came out to support Windows8, the 2012 version can be purchased at a nice discount currently. Once you have the Acronis DVD (or a copy downloaded to a bootable USB stick), you can use it on any computer for cloning. It operates outside of Windows for cloning.

12. najiro

najiro Guest

is this updated? I was following the guide a while ago.. it messed up my computer @______@
    it boots fast alright but every startup program would start crashing after 20 seconds or so.. I don't get it.. :(
    I used system restore to undo everything I did. any suggestions? I'm using a SupersSpeed 306 120gb.
    I guess I got too greedy with performance and it went really bad LOL

13. The SSD Guy

The guide wouldn't be creating your problem and has helped millions without a problem; you might want to go over the optimizations made.

14. najiro

najiro Guest

I dunno.. I think those that have regedit stuff messed it. hmmm. will try again later after work. i hope it goes well this time @__@
    it was really weird, my ram usage only goes to 25% (2gb of 8gb) and it's saying I don't have enough memory to run more programs so everything starts shutting down after 10-20 seconds after boot.

15. alan1476

alan1476 Guest

Yo najiro, why didnt you ask me to help you? You know where to find me.

16. najiro

najiro Guest

aw, okay :)
    I did ask jon for advice. he only said to turn of c-states and leave it there. then I found the optimization article. I think it was my fault. There where a lot of segments there that require a restart. I didn't... I did a bunch and made one restart.. that's where it got messed up I guess.. LOL @__@

17. Pendaws

Pendaws New Member

Very good guide indeed. :)

18. The SSD Guy

Thanks much!!! Maybe time for a bit of an update though!

19. Takeshi

Takeshi New Member

Hi Les, your Optimization Guide is excellent, and I have used it to tweak all of my computers (down to 2 at the moment).

You have mentioned it might be time for an update. I am curious if you are planning an update, as I have now switched to the Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS. There might be differences in Win 10 to warrant it, so I turn to you for your expertise as I don't know if there is or not.

I will hold off using the Optimization Guide until I know if there are any differences I should be aware of.

Thanks Les, keep up the great work.

20. Takeshi

Takeshi New Member

I have noticed it has been 14 months since my last post, which is THE last post in this thread. Windows 10 has reached maturity, but I still see no update to the SSD Optimization Guide. Does this mean nothing worth mentioning has changed?