Samsung EVO Pro or Ultra II drives for RAID?

Discussion in 'RAID and Enterprise' started by insolution, Sep 10, 2014.

1. insolution

insolution New Member

Hi all, new member here. I hope someone authoritative can help me decide between the Samsung 840 Pro 256GB and the newer Ultra II 256GB SSD's for my new x97 system. I am setting up an Asus z97 Pro with an i7-4790k and a HDD subsystem for storage. I'll be installing 8.1 (deep breath for me, my 8.0 experience sent me back to 7 Ultimate) and following the SSD Optimization Guide.

I am going to buy four drives and set them up in a RAID 0 config through the on-board Intel controller. They'll be backed up to a HDD nightly.

Which set of drives would offer the better performance?

From TigerDirect they are close in cost so I am not sure which RAID 0 setup will be faster in real-world performance. My primary concern is PAR and UnRAR performance as I do a lot of movie and pic "removal" from the internet (to keep our kids safe, LOL).

Any thoughts?

--Scott

2. renosablast

renosablast Moderator Staff Member

Performance of both drives is excellent. All other things being relatively equal, I think I would lean toward Samsung's 5-year warranty versus a 3-year warranty on the SanDisk Ultra II.

3. insolution

insolution New Member

Yeah, that's what my thinking was but I wanted to hear from others in case I was missing something. The OEM specs are damn near close and the price is nearly the same, so I think I'll go with the 5-year warranty and not try to overthink it.

Thanks for the help.

Scott

4. osorno

osorno New Member

I have been using both of the drives in my 2 Thinkpads.
    T400 - 840 pro
    T410 - Ultra II

Both are fast. NO difference at all in the real time world. I work in IT and I use both Thinkpads for my Work.
    No issues at all for the past 1 Year around for the T400 and 6 Months for the T410.

Don't worry about the Warranty.
    Chances are very minute that these ssds fail.
    Even before they fail, new technology will be out there and these will become obsolete.

5. Zayn

Zayn New Member

Hi!
    The OEM specs are damn near close and the price is nearly the same SO I'll go for 3 year warranty. I have even tried
    Psiphon AdAway Test Dpc

Regards,
    Zayn.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018