old software cd's

Discussion in 'Software' started by renovation, Oct 12, 2014.

1. renovation

renovation Member

was just going though stuff getting ready for are venture to florida for the winter . looked into the bin were I keep software . I'm wondering am I only one who keeps old outdated programs . there tons of old cd's in this I even have windows 95 and 98 install programs these I know I will never use again .I just can't seem to bring myself to trashing them .must have 1/2 dozen copys of power dvd and Roxio ,nero ,oem printer install disks .

anyway I think its time to do some house cleaning - really do we think they ever be used again ?

2. Seán

Seán Member

It's quite surprising what one finds lying around. :)

I have the original retail boxes for Windows 98 and Plus! as photographed below. The right image is of a floppy disk carton which included an extra disk to preview Windows 95, although I've misplaced that floppy many years back.

Windows 98 boxes.jpg Windows 95 preview.jpg

If those discs include their retail packaging, I would strongly recommend keeping them. Over time, they could be worth a lot to a collector.

As for the printer, OEM discs, etc. that probably are not worth much, have a think about another use. For example, I hung about 20 old Dell, Motherboard, etc. discs on a plum tree to keep away the crows. Besides keeping the plums safe, it also had a noticeable effect on passing cars. :cool:

darcy likes this.
  3. renovation

renovation Member

[QUOTE I hung about 20 old Dell, Motherboard, etc. discs on a plum tree to keep away the crows. Besides keeping the plums safe, it also had a noticeable effect on passing cars][/QUOTE] that funny an great idea for recycling them . tried using them as a wind charm once that totally failed.

4. JAVAMAN

JAVAMAN New Member

I still have an ancient Yamaha QX-1 Digital hardware sequencer. Use it rare occasions but stocked up on 5 1/4" Floppies and backed up the projects and OS. Last time I checked they still worked fine.