OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 PCIe SSD Review - 1.5GB Read/1.25GB Write/200,000 IOPS

Discussion in 'OCZ' started by The SSD Guy, Jun 28, 2011.

1. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Today’s complete review of the OCZ RevoDrive 3 x2 PCIe SSD is published on the heels of our ‘Quick Look’ of the Revo 3 a few weeks back which resulted in a flurry of attention by PC enthusiasts worldwide. As many e-mails that were received in result, they never compared to the backlinks returned from dozens of forums with members salivating over the Revo 3 x2 and anticipating its release date. It turns out that our ‘Computex Taipei’ RevoDrive 3 x2 SSD benchmarks were an exclusive first look at this cards performance as we tried a new approach in conducting first hand independent benchmarks at Computex on nothing more than a flash drive.

INTRODUCTION

The OCZ Revo 3 x2 PCIe SSD enters the consumer market as the fastest consumer available storage solution by a land slide. OCZ specifications list high sequential performance as 1.5GB/s read, 1.25GB/s write and capable of 200, 000 IOPS at 4k random write disk access. Coincidentally, this is also the first consumer targeted product that brings us out of megabyte per second speeds and into the realm of gigabytes per second.

[​IMG]

In 2-3 weeks, the Revo 3 x2 will be available in capacities of 240GB, 480GB and 960GB and at $1699.99 and $3199.99 for the latter two, we can see these being looked at closely by enterprise, the likes of which are going to be pleasantly surprised at our IOPS testing a bit further into this report. With a standard 3 year warranty, we believe the Revo 3 x2 will become as important an upgrade to the consumer enthusiast as it will be to enterprise, keeping in mind that it is a workstation class product.
    CONSUMER VALUE

Although our test sample is a 480GB version of the Revo 3 x2, the 240GB promises to be a ‘must have’ for just about every enthusiast who is looking for the best money can buy with a price expected at $699. Considering that today’s new generation release of 240GB ‘SandForce Driven’ SSDs are retailing at an average price point of $550, OCZ is making the Revo 3 x2 impossible to pass up with 3 times the performance at only a $150 premium above the typical 240GB SSD release.

[​IMG]

To make the Revo 3 even more appealing, OCZ guarantees that the RevoDrive 3 x2 is capable of 200, 000 IOPS at 4k aligned random write disk access which, until now, hasn’t even been dreamed of in an affordable consumer storage solution.​

HOW CAN THEY MAKE IT SO CHEAP?

The powerhouse of the RevoDrive 3 x2 is driven by four SandForce SF-2281 processors and OCZ' choice of asynchronous NAND flash memory makes this PCIe SSD possible as an affordable consumer solution. In fact, the 240GB could be simply thought as 4 OCZ Agility 60GB SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration except for the fact that the PCIe interface eliminates the bottleneck we see in the SATA 3.0 interface. PCIe opens the door to speeds of 1.5GB/s read, 1.25GB/s write and 200, 000 IOPS at 4k aligned random write disk access. The difference, of course, is that the Revo 3x2 is not a RAID 0 configuration and the speed is achieved through VCA 2.0 and the OCZ Superscale storage accelerator.

[​IMG]

PG 1 - INTRODUCTION
    PG2 - PHYSICAL CHARACTERISTICS AND VCA TECHNOLOGY
    PG3 - IOMETER BENCHMARKS AND 200, 000 IOPS
    PG4 - ATTO, CRYSTAL DISKMARK AND AS SSD BENCHMARKS
    PG5 - HDTUNE PRO TESTING
    PG6 - PCMARK VANTAGE COMPARISON TESTING
    PG7 - CONCLUSIONS

2. Computurd

Computurd Guest

wow looks very interesting...reading now! :)

3. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Wow, those benchmark numbers are mind boggling. Drives like these will revolutionize computers, as soon as prices fall low enough for the mass market. When that happens, HDD will go the way of the VCR.

Very nice review and technology reporting Les.

4. FiftyOne

FiftyOne Guest

Some very awesome figures & the latency has improved heaps too. Still interested to see what their hdd+ssd drive is like.

What's the situation with 4k low que tx's? with RAID they don't seem to be any faster. Can someone enlighten me to the mathematical madness why its the way it is?

5. The SSD Guy

6. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Very impressive! Just look at the other sites with whom you are linked. Soon I'll be able to say I knew you when you were struggling with an unknown website, before the millions started pouring in.

ScreenShot001.jpg

7. Computurd

Computurd Guest

yes, that is good that engadget has you on board :)

the problem with 4k QD1 btw is firmware overhead. there will be future devices that will scale with the low QD. not sure of OCZ, but the big raid card companies will :)

tbh i am very interested in the HDD/SSD hybrid...these types of devices are getting good!

8. The SSD Guy

I think this is our 3rd or 4th Engadget link. I only missed out on one SSD one such as this but yes, very happy.

9. Anvil

Anvil Guest

Great review Les :)

This might be the first PCIe Storage device on my to buy list :), a lot of improvements over the previous Revo's, not just on speed but also on configuration/maintenance.

10. valomanden

valomanden Guest

11. EnHoE007

EnHoE007 Guest

Hi guys

How it looks like, does this SSD (at PCI-E) boots faster than lets say 4x Vertex 3 @ Raid Controller?

THX

12. The SSD Guy

I personally cannot answer that. This SSD does, however, have a slight delay at post time of a few seconds for recognition of the drive itself.

13. EnHoE007

EnHoE007 Guest

Im asking because a single ssd boots fasther than 4 in raid. And i thought its the same (raid and pcie). If a pcie boots faster i prefer to buy one. But i dont know..

14. The SSD Guy

It all comes down to the RAID arrays recognition at post which is the same for a RAID x 4 or the Revo 3x2 even though it is a SCSI. If you are looking for the absolute fastest boot, a single SSD cannot be beat.

15. EnHoE007

EnHoE007 Guest

OK, thanks a lot. I will wait until Sandy-E comes out. Then I will check out what to do... Regards

16. ssdbob

ssdbob Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2011
  17. The SSD Guy

Bit of an update on this drive and the Revo 3 with respect to Gigabyte motherboards. I was testing a few days back and learned that this drive wouldnt install in AHCI mode on the Giga UD7. I also subsequently read at least 2 other instances where the card would work fine in IDE mode but hung up in the Revo BIOS on boot in SATA mode.

Two days ago I contacted Giga and explained the problem to which they sent me a new firmware to try out today, numbered F9b. Turns out it works like a charm! Giga and 3x2 work fine in AHCI mode now as I am sure with any other similar motherboard issues of the same nature.

Good work Giga!

18. Computurd

Computurd Guest

wow that was a fast turnaround! awesome work from gigabyte :)
    les you can pull strings man :)

19. FiftyOne

FiftyOne Guest

was that a new bios update or a new revo firmware?

20. The SSD Guy

New Giga BIOS F9b