My new build...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bad_Machine, Nov 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

After a lot of deliberation, I finally commited towards an Z68 system yesterday. Here are the components I've selected:

In Win Dragon Rider chassis with six 120mm Akasa Vipers on the left-side panel, all six connected to an Akasa FC.SIX fan controller. Will probably get a Lamptron Touch controller for the remaining fans later. I know that there are better cases out there but the thought of a veritable wind tunnel covering the whole mobo was too hard to resist.

Corsair Pro Gold AX1200 PSU

ASRock Z68 Fatal1ty Gen 3 mobo

i7 2700K CPU (sorry Hammer but the price difference was minimal compared to the 2600K)

Corsair Hydro H100 CPU cooler with two Akasa Vipers added on the exhaust side of the radiator (4 fans in total in push-pull config.)

16 gig of Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 (1600MHz) CAS 9-9-9-24, XMP, 1.5V

Two MSI GeForce GTX 560 Ti Twin Frozr II/OC (2GB) SLi

One 120Gb Corsair Vertex 3 Max IOPS (plus the wife's Patriot Widfire - she has finally yielded ;)).

Hopefully with this setup I'll be able to reach 5 GHz without having to raise the voltages too much. Most parts are in stock and should arrive within the next few days so I can start building. Goodbye my good ol' faithful Athlon, welcome Ms Sandy!

If you're with me on this one, gimme a Hell Yeah!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  2. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Hell yeah, for Ms. Sandy.....oh, did you mean your build? That's nice too.

No need to say you're sorry, if the cost difference is minimal, (2600 vs. 2700), in the U.K, then go for it of course. Unfortunately here, it's $50 to $60 which is ridiculous.

Everything you ordered looks great, but do you really need 16GB of RAM? Yes, I know that memory is super cheap now, and it's tempting, but I wouldn't do it unless it was truly needed. Most people find it hard to utilize 6GB, or 8GB, of DDR3 either dual, or tri-channel.

The reason I say this, is because loading up all the DIMM slots, loads down the cpu's internal memory controller. It makes over clocking more difficult. As an example, with the i7 930, with 3 of the 6 DIMM slots occupied, I can hit 4.3GHz, with reasonable temps, on air. As soon as I fill all 6 DIMM slots, I require the same Vcore/QPI/heat as 4.3GHz, but cannot go higher than 4.1GHz.

Is this critical? Of course not, unless you're going for the maximum over clock you can, which is what you said you wanted to do. Of course you can always remove 1/2 the RAM, and over clock using 8GB, then replace the removed sticks when you're done.

Also, I see you went with the Dragon Rider case. I thought you had really wrapped your head around the Case that Stratosmangler suggested. Guess you changed your mind.

Looks to me like all the components you've chosen are top quality and should provide excellent performance levels.

Glad you got the 1,200 watt PSU. I cannot tell you how many people figure out exactly how much PSU they need, and then buy just that amount. A year or two later, they want to upgrade their video cards, or add a card for SLI, or tri-SLI, add drives, etc., and the fools have to buy a new PSU because the one they purchased originally is short 150 watts. I cannot tell you how many times someone has asked my advice on a PSU, and I tell them to figure needed watts, +10% capacitor wear, +20% minimum headroom. Inevitably, some idiot will say something like..."OMG, that's 850 watts, all you really need is 650 watts",.... so they buy the 650 watt PSU to save a few dollars. Glad to see that you planned for the future. It's also a smart move because the extra headroom in that PSU will keep it running reasonably cool while benching, and just loafing along during everyday use.

Congrats on all. Please be sure to post photos as you're building, because that's always interesting for the rest of us, and then some benches when you're done...ok?

3. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Price difference over here is much better with the 2600K = £231.80 whereas the 2700K = £237.80.

Regarding the RAM I had in mind to utilize an 8 gig RAM drive, I could make good use of it for adding streams to mkv files etc. from RAM drive to the Patriot and vice versa. I'll test with 2 DIMMS to start with and see how far I can push Sandy without adding too much juice, then I'll drop the multi a bit, add the other two DIMMS and take it from there. It'll all depend to the degree in which the OC suffers with 4 dimms installed. If I can reach 4.8 gig with moderate voltages and all four DIMMS I'll be happy. If not then sod the RAM drive, I'll send two DIMMS back for a refund (I bought additional insurance that allows me to try and return any parts that are not wanted).

I went for the Dragon strictly for its ability to host six fans on the left side panel. It'll be noisy at full throttle but the cooling potential covering the whole mobo is something that I just couldn't resistand I can slow down the fans when they're not needed anyway. The Storm Trooper that Stratos mentioned is a better case and a looker too. I did try to find a UK online retailer that stocks it, but only Overclockers UK stocks it at the moment (on pre-order) they're really hard to get hold of. I checked with them and they already have a large number of users who have pre-ordered it without even a date for new stock arriving. Not in the mood for more waiting, I just wanna get started, so the Dragon it is (and it's much cheaper too).

I'll definitely snap and post as I build, I'm salivating profusely already! BTW I think that Sandy posing on a bridge makes a better avatar than spiders and the like. I'm regressing back to my younger years lol... Hell yeah!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2011
  4. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Now that's more like it! That's about $370 for the 2600 and $380 for the 2700, if my conversion is correct. That's what I was saying the other day. The 2700 shouldn't be more than $10 to $15 more than the 2600 for the extra multi. Good deal there BadMach.

Ok on all your thoughts. We have no such "insurance", that I am aware of on this side of the pond. Sounds like that should work out very well for both you, and Sandy.

5. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Yes, I was expecting a larger price difference in order for them to be able to get rid of their 2600K stock. The way it is now I can't see how anyone will choose the 2600K over the 2700K.

The insurance I bought covers me for a period of 28 days. I can return anything I want during this period, no questions asked. It also covers me for installation damage on any components even if it is my fault. It's a good deal, shame noone offers something similar over there. Still it's pricey, I could have bought a 60 gig Agility 3 for the insurance money plus a tenner on top. But at least I can have peace of mind.

I just hope than Lynda won't be too jealous sharing me with Sandy... ;)

6. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Oh go on, I'll bet Lynda is better lookin' than Sandy, you just don't want to admit it. I know your type!

7. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

She's is at least in my eyes lol... But on the other hand Sandy will work harder if you feed her more juice, whereas Lyn will have none of that. Sandy also has pins, and I like pins :D

8. Bill Gates

Bill Gates Guest

sounds like a great setup there congrats

9. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Thanks Bill!

10. stratosrally

stratosrally Guest

I'll be waiting for your build pics, sounds like a great rig!

Wow, with 6 fans on that side panel it may literally take your breath away... ;):D:)

11. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

I saw postings by some Texan guys in a forum a few weeks ago, one of them was LANing on a Dragon with such a config. His temperatures under full load were really impressive and this has prompted me to go for this setup. As far as I know it's the only chassis out there that can take six 120mm blowers on the side panel.

12. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Have you done the math to see if that machine will be operating on negative, or positive, air pressure?

A few months ago there was an article in the paper that a guy built a computer with as many fans as you're using.
    Within 30 seconds after startup, the computer sucked so much air out of the room, that the guy collapsed, and is still hospitalized in a coma.
    That was a joke Stratos. lol3.gif

13. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

NIce build... alot of the components are very familiar.

14. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Thanks Les, I just hope that the Vertex 3 doesn't give me any trouble. I really wanted to wait for the Octane but the retailer I'm buying from has dropped the price for the OCZ and this has made my decision easier.

15. Bill Gates

Bill Gates Guest

the m4 is a better drive IMO

16. Hameister

Hameister Guest

Hey Bad, all you need do is change the hardware list in the OP, and you can use this thread for your build.

Have you received all the parts yet? I'm gettin' anxious!

17. renosablast

renosablast Guest

Hope you have some way to secure the case to the floor. With six side panel fans in intake config., it may try walking the case around at high rpms, lol.

18. Hameister

Hameister Guest

You have to understand his mindset. I have 4x120mm side fans so he has to go with six. If some one else had 6, he'd mod & build with 8. He'd design a vertical stabilizer rotor if necessary, or a gyroscope to hold it in place.

He's very competitive, plus, a really big fan of yellow!

ScreenShot001.jpg

19. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

hhaha, great reply Hammer! No news on my darn chassis yet. Should be in on Monday at their last estimate...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2011
  20. stratosrally

stratosrally Guest

I like those fans and there have been some people showing interest in them over on the EVGA forums as well.

I'll make a deal with you, Bad_Machine - you keep your fingers crossed for my Corsair mechanical keyboard to come to the retailers and I'll do the same for your case!

NewEgg is showing 11/28, Amazon is showing 12/05 - and the Corsair rep said they were in transit to retailers back on 11/13... I still haven't made the final choice between the K60 & the K90.

K90 comes with backlit keys (a huge plus for me) but has a slew of useless (for me) programmable keys to the left end of the KB, while the K60 is perfect other than the lack of backlit keys. Also - the K60 comes with extra red rubberized & contoured keys for WASD & 1-5, I would remove the WASD lettering & use them for the arrow keys.

K90: k90rs.jpg

K60: k60rs.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.