MX100 drives having cold boot issues. Recommend staying with M500 drives.

Discussion in 'SSD Discussion' started by TechOnNapkins, Oct 30, 2014.

1. TechOnNapkins

TechOnNapkins New Member

I've only deployed one of the Adata SP920 re-brands so far, and thus far no issues, but that's a poor sample size... until I see an update from Crucial, I don't trust the MX100 series OR the Adata rebrands.

I'm the second poster in this ongoing thread on the Crucial forums:

MX100 will not boot sometimes - Crucial Community

I'm also interested if anyone has noticed the issue with the M550 as well.

In the meantime I'm sticking with the M500 series.

2. Takeshi

Takeshi New Member

I have read your posts about the MX100 issue in the Crucial forum about the cold boot issue. I am also following that thread, as I own a MX100 512GB. However, mine is new, still inside the sealed box. I will not install it unless this issue is fixed. BTW, the m4 had the almost exact problem that I discovered while perusing their tech support articles. This led me to their firmware update page:

Crucial SSD Firmware Updates

[TABLE="class: sort-table"]
    [TR]
    [TH="class: sort-title"]version[/TH]
    [TH="class: sort-title"]compatible products[/TH]
    [TH="class: sort-title, colspan: 3"]download[/TH]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: sort-content"]070H[/TD]
    [TD="class: sort-content"]Crucial m4 2.5-inch (7mm & 9.5mm) SSD[/TD]
    [TD="class: sort-content"]Windows® 7 Updater Application
    download firmware
    instruction guide[/TD]
    [TD="class: sort-content"]Windows® 8 Updater Application
    download firmware
    instruction guide[/TD]
    [TD="class: sort-content"]Manual Boot File for Windows and Mac®
    download firmware
    instruction guide[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: details, colspan: 5"] Release Date: 04/02/2013
    Firmware 070H is recommended for anyone currently running 040H or previous firmware releases. It includes incremental improvements and refinements over these versions which may improve the overall user experience.
    Like recent firmware versions, version 070H has improvements over versions 000F which are specific for Windows 8 and new UltraBook systems, although systems running Windows 7 and other operating systems may also see improvements. Any m4 firmware version will function normally in Windows 8, even without these performance improvements.
    The following is a summary of changes between 040H and 070H, which are independent of operating system:

• Resolved a power-up timing issue that could result in a drive hang, resulting in an inability to communicate with the host computer. The hang condition would typically occur during power-up or resume from Sleep or Hibernate. Most often, a new power cycle will clear the condition and allow normal operations to continue. The failure mode has only been observed in factory test. The failure mode is believed to have been contained to the factory. This fix is being implemented for all new builds, for all form factors, as a precautionary measure. The fix may be implemented in the field, as desired, to prevent occurrence of this boot-time failure. To date, no known field returns have been shown to be related to this issue. A failure of this type would typically be recoverable by a system reset.

Additional details can be found in the firmware guide[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

If you read the above summary, you will notice the similarities. Maybe the Crucial engineers need only to look at their own history. ;)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  3. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

Very interesting...

4. Takeshi

Takeshi New Member

Yes, it is. However, if you have read the thread at Crucial about the problems the MX100 users are experiencing, you will notice that some of them are getting the BSOD while using their PCs, instead of only during boot-up, which doesn't exactly correlate to the problem the m4 had; or at least that's the only scenario that Crucial has stated about the m4. But then again, looking at the summary above, they say "The hang condition would typically occur during power-up or resume from Sleep or Hibernate." Since they used the word "typically", that implies that other conditions were at least possible, if not probable.

Of course, it is possible that the origin of the problem lies with Marvell. it may be unlikely, but there could be an issue with the controller itself. If it is, then any SSD manufacturer using the Marvell 88SS9189 controller should be witnessing similar problems. If I had a list of manufacturers using this controller, I would check their forums to find out if this is the case.

But then again, hopefully, the problem could be firmware related. However, since the problem turned up at least as early as the beginning of September, and there is no firmware update to address the problem, and nobody at Crucial has publically addressed the problem as of yet, I am getting that uneasy feeling that the problem may be more than just firmware. I honestly hope that is not the case, as I have always liked Micron/Crucial. I feel that they are more of a no-nonsense kind of company that tend to stay away from overly flashy, gimmicky kind of stuff, producing excellent products not only for the enterprise sector, but for the rest of us as well. As a matter of fact, if I will have to give up my MX100 due to a design flaw, I will be sad. This line of SSDs is very feature-rich. I am not aware of any others (other than enterprise-grade) that have all of the same features as the Crucial M series.

Your review (along with Kristian Vättö's here: AnandTech | Crucial MX100 (256GB & 512GB) Review ) made it perfectly clear to me that this was the SSD to get (at least at the time of the reviews) as it was by far the most cost-effective, feature-rich and above average performing SSD. I sincerely hope the problem can be fixed with a firmware update.

I thank you for your excellent, in-depth and thorough reviews, and I look forward to reading all of your future reviews.