Migration software confusion

Discussion in 'Samsung' started by Beemer, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Beemer

Beemer Guest

I have just taken delivery of a Samsung 840 Pro 256GB ssd. I already have Macrium Reflect Pro and was planning to use it to clone my C: drive to the SSD. On reading the Samsung Migration software manual I see that it says:

5. On systems with three (3) drives or more (e.g. “C:”, “D:”, and “E:” drives) with the operating system installed on the “C:” drive, only the first two consecutive drives will be cloned (“C:” and “D:” drives). The “System” partition that is created during Windows installation is automatically replicated.

Does the above really mean "volumes" rather than "drives".

My system has five hard drives, C: is OS, E: is a non-OS Raid 1 pair and the other drives are data. I was only expecting that the Samsung software would transfer just the C: drive and not the others.

Can someone clarify this for me?

Ian

2. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Guest

Welcome to The SSD Review

I've not yet used Samsung's cloning tool, but I'd just disconnect all drives except the C: and the new SSD and run the clone. Be sure its segment aligned and AHCI mode is set in BIOS.

Enjoy your stay with us.

3. Beemer

Beemer Guest

I have Raid 1 on my data drives so selecting AHCI is not possible. I have no understanding of segment alignment apart from reading that I should divide the C: drive Partition Starting Offset by 4096 and the result must be a whole number. In my case the PSO is 1,048,596 / 4096 = 2453.2656 so what do I do now?

Ian

4. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Guest

OK, its time for you to give us you're system specs please; see my sig for an example. The key question is, does your BIOS assume AHCI when configured for RAID?

5. renosablast

renosablast Guest

It should not matter that your data drives are in RAID1 as long as they are not also the operating system drive. Depending on your motherboard, you should be able to set individual SATA controller ports to AHCI mode (some motherboards only do this in pairs). In your BIOS, set one of the unused SATA ports to AHCI mode and connect the Samsung to it. Unplug all other drives except the Samsung and the O/S drive. Go to Samsung's website and download their free cloning software to your current O/S drive (available here: Support - Solid State Drives MZ-7PD512 | Samsung Memory & Storage) click on downloads and click on the .exe file for the data migration tool. Other cloning software sometimes has issues with the Samsung drives, so you are best to use the one they recommend and support. This data migration tool will create the same proportional partitions as your current O/S drive and takes care of the alignment for you. Once the migration is complete, shut down and disconnect the old O/S drive and make sure you can boot successfully from the new SSD as O/S drive. Once you can successfully boot from the Samsung SSD, immediately install the Samsung Magician software and verify that your settings are optimized for the SSD. You can then reconnect your RAID array or other data only drives and you should be up and running as normal (but FASTER!).

6. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Guest

Thanks for jumping in Reno!

7. Beemer

Beemer Guest

Firstly I think I misunderstood your advice about alignment and it actually referred to the SSD Partition Starting offset. That being the case I would not be able to do any alignment until AFTER migration.

My system is:

Intel Core2 Duo E8400 | Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P| 8GB DDR2 | Sapphire HD8450| Samsung 840 Pro SSD 256GB (for OS), Data RAID 1, Data x3 HDDs (all six SATA ports used) | HP LP2475w | Windows 7 Pro 64-bit | 750W PSU

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

Reno,

I see no way in my Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3P Award Bios to change individual SATA ports to AHCI. I'm hoping that I have no actual SSD hardware or Samsung software requirement that requires AHCI?

Ian

8. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Guest

You can download and install Anvil Storage Anvils Storage Utilities Download it will tell you if your current C: install is aligned.
    I don't know if changing I/O mode to AHCI will damage your array. Running your new SATA III drive in a SATA II port (are there any SATA III ports on your mobo?) in IDE mode will definitely slow its performance.

9. SmogHog

SmogHog Guest

The Samsung Magician software doesn't support Raid settings.

If you set the bios to AHCI every drive on the bus will be using the AHCI storage driver

If the C: drive you want to clone to the new SSD was created when the bios was set to Raid then cloning it onto the SSD after the bios is changed to AHCI just won't work.Any other drives set up with an OS while in Raid mode will also have issues with new bios AHCI storage setting.

All your SATA ports are SATA II so the 840 Pro will be restricted to SATA II performance.

Leave the bios set to Raid if that's what it's set to>remove the power cable and from all other drives,connect the SSD to SATA port and do a clean Windows installation from scratch while it's the only drive connected.Usually Port 0 and port 1 on the SATA II bus will yield the best performance.

Getting a PCI-e SATA III 6GB/s add in card(HighPoint 640L?) to connect the Samsung 840Pro to might be a good move to make.

10. Kumar Anksi

Kumar Anksi New Member

I know the transfer rate of SSD is better than in HDD but a software should use all the cores of the CPU to make the file transfer more efficient. In short the software should be multi threaded. I have seen that most of the software can handle only 3 threads at a time. After searching a lot I found that GS Richcopy 360 provides 100% multi threaded file transfer and is really easy to use. You should also try it, I am currently using the enterprise edition of it!