Looking for advice on a new system build I'm planning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FiftyOne, Jul 22, 2011.

1. FiftyOne

FiftyOne Guest

Thought I might test the TSSDR water's & see what the members knowledge on water cooling is.

For a bit of background, I'm planning a fairly serious system with overclock in mind. It'll most likely live in a HAF X case & be fully contained. I am seriously considering a koolance water cooled psu but not sure as yet. I am undecided about cooling the ram as yet (so pls advise either way) but I am going to cool the chipset.

Basicly this system will not be built till years end (at this point) but I'm planning it all out now, so please educate away.

Some of the things I need to know are things like what the recommended flow rates for the components are. For example, if a cooling block has a 3/8ths opening, what flow is required as a rule of thumb for the block? I'm going to calculate the flows through the whole system to get it right.

Just to complicate, I'm planning a dual loop system as shown in the jpg. I've seen many systems usually go res>pump>cpu>gpu>rad>res however, as you can see I'm planning to have each component feed from a cooled supply (eg, water not feed from one block in to another) so this is why I ask about required flows in blocks. My question with the dual loop is what happens with the rad's? I'd like to combine the flows from the two pumps then send them to the rads. It might make it a little easier to manage the fan & pump speeds if I do this as I plan to use a some hardware to manage the fan (& possibly pump) speeds.

Only other thing is if anyone knows a good forum (aside all the great people on this site) I can go to to ask questions?

loop.jpg

Cheers guys

2. OS-Wiz

OS-Wiz Guest

Join and make a post in this forum: Water Cooling - (Plain & Chilled) - EXTREME Overclocking Forums and get MusicFan involved, mostly ignore everyone else, but there are a couple others that know what they're doing. More later ...

EDIT: Flow rates are are fairly important but not nearly as important as the amount of radiators used. And tube size isn't all that important either. If you plan SLI, or triple vidcards, then use a totally separate loop for just the vidcards and another loop for everything else. If you will be using a single vidcard, then just one loop and a 360 and 240 rad in series. Swiftech makes the best pumps and CPU blocks: Swiftech - Home - PC Liquid Cooling Systems, CPU and VGA Coolers, Water Blocks, Heatsinks, Pumps, Radiators, Heat Exchangers, Cooling Kits
    Also, for ease of draining and filling the loop I like to make the res at the highest point in the loop and the pump the lowest. Another thing you might consider, water cooling the chipset really isn't necessary, nor forced air cooling memory given adequate case airflow. You should consider the Corsair H100 cpu cooler and a loop for your vidcard(s). My H70 allows great overclocks and the H100 should be even better.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  3. Hameister

Hameister Guest

4. valomanden

valomanden Guest

Hi FiftyOne, as Oz-wiz recommends an enclosed pump/radiator solution from either Corsair or NorthQ (Siberian tiger) would be preferable.
    The most important thing is to isolate reservoirs if you got two hot components with very different temperatures. If you don't isolate them you'll be heating one of your components unnecessarily, which only an over dimensioned radiator can fix = no good idea.

heat2.png

Don't know what your plans are for the system but here is just a quick idea of how you can manage the temperature assuming you'll use a GFX which operates 30 degrees Celsius above your CPU

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  5. Computurd

Computurd Guest

i have a similar setup, but not entirely the same.
    the good thing about the dual loops is that they can have different flow rates, if one is less restrictive than the other that is good. you dont have a choice on a restricted loop, but you can isolate it and not let it hurt the high flow loop.
    Also, the excess cooling capacity of one, will benefit the other. so for instance if your cpu is loaded, but not your gpu, the cpu loop will benefit from the unused capacity of the gpu loop. and vice versa.
    here is my setup, and i get a 2 degree delta, from water to air temp.
    .................Pump w/res---------cpu-------dual 360 rads--------
    shared res<........................................................................ >shared res
    .................pump w/res----raid card---ram-----board--240 rad-

so here i have two loops, one that is restricted (ra, raid etc) and the other that is high flow. but the loops help each other, as they share the same "pool" of water.
    this gives uber results. this is a parrallel loop as they call it.

also, my GPU are on a third rad, a modified honda radiator.

6. stratosrally

stratosrally Guest

A Honda radiator - from what, a CR250?

Arrrrrrrr.....