I Just Received the Mac Air

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by The SSD Guy, Jun 25, 2012.

1. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

Ok...so other than installing OSX on a Dell 1330 back in 07/08 just because someone told me I couldn't, I have NEVER touched or even been in the same vacinity as an Apple. Not a word of lie. In fact, I have been the biggest PC guy one would ever wanted to meet.

Until now.

I really don't know what to say. I received the new Ivy Bridge Mac Air three hours ago and I can't put it down. From the exterior packaging to amazing build to easy to follow initial instructions to AMERICAN KEYBORD YEA!... this thing is easily the best system I have ever had in my hands so far.

Pik 1.jpg

I mean lets talk build first and foremost. It is heavier and larger than my Toshiba Z830 which is still the lightest 13" Ultra on the block but...the attention to detail amazes me...

1. Plug - System not only comes with a two and three prong plug but connecting it to the systm means only holding the connector close. It is magnetic and one does not push anything in. You have no idea how many plugs we have been through here. This wouldn't have that problem whatsoever because any pressure at all simply breaks the magnetic connection.

Plug2.jpg

2. Build - Easily the thinnest to date and, unlike the Samsung, this does not attract fingerprint grease. In fact, the feal has a bit of a texture which makes it a real nice feel. Every corner and edge has been honed to perfection;

Pik 3.jpg

3. Rubber ring around lid botton - I actually can't believe this hasn't been thought of sooner. Each and every laptop I have ever had has resulted in marring over time because the top is in contact with the bottom. The Mac Air actually has a thin ring around the top, gasket if you will, that protects it from just this.

Gasket.jpg

Keyboard and trackpad - full backlit silent keyboard with just a bit of pressure required. The trackpad is extremely simple to learn multigesture and is dead on every time. I cant tell you how many times I have been frustrated trying to scroll on different laptops...

Pik4.jpg

Screen... Viewing angle is incredible and this is extremely bright. I JUST started playing with the OS and , granted, I am a bit lost but I got the site up and the site CMS up to work on things soon enough. Something else... This system has FLASH!!!! One of the things that kept me away from Apple was its not being able to use flash but I got Safari up in seconds with a quick download and, well I have to admit this guys, the picture has never looked so good.

Pik 2.jpg

Now...having said all of this, I am seriously looking for a negative here. I expected very much to find it and return this in a short period of time like the original Sammy but... nothing stands out whatsoever yet.

This thing reminds me of...hmmm... does anyone here like pocket knives? Do you remember the feeling when you found just the right one and it the precision in the hand cut blade just amazed you? It is like that to me...

Help!!!!!

2. The SSD Guy

Ya... I know I know...the silent treatment now!

3. m.oreilly

m.oreilly Guest

it's shock without the awe. i think sex shops sell iplugs, so again, no awe...
    get an ips monitor for your pc?

4. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

I used Macs during my brief stint in desktop publishing four years ago, and I have to admit that they are beautiful and well-made machines. Still waiting for Ham's cries of "Infamy! infamy!" (jokingly of course!).

Les, it would be interesting if you could try a PC emulator on the Mac and post some results on how well it works with PC apps, games etc.

5. Hameister

Hameister Guest

No problem, I'll give you two. Limited software, and limited hardware!

I gave up the Sony Beta format many years ago, and was forced to go with an inferior format called VHS, because the selection of movies available for Beta, shrunk to about 20% of what was available for VHS.

The same is true of the Mac. If I could obtain the same selection of software, and hardware for the Mac, that I can for the PC, I'd be using a Mac right now, but I can't, so I don't.

6. renosablast

renosablast Guest

And, of course, their is the pricing differential. At least Les will now be in a position to say whether or not the premium price is worth it. The magnetic connector is a novel/neat idea. My only concern would be with it coming apart unknown to the user and you not achieving the battery recharge you thought you were. There is another one -- how is the battery life?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2012
  7. Sean

Sean Guest

As far as I'm aware of, Apple has no plans of releasing an OS-X version designed to be touch-friendly instead of mouse friendly, so the OS is both a positive and negative, where the positive is that some may see it as an alternative to Windows 8, but the negative is obviously software/hardware compatibility.

As others mentioned, the Mac Air price is too high for most consumers, even if it is well-worth the price and Apple don't seem to have any cheaper options. Here in Ireland, the cheapest Mac Air model is over €1,000, about 50% more than the cheapest Ultrabooks.

8. The SSD Guy

Ok so..yes, my biggest gripe has always been that this system is not at the same pricepoint beside its PC brother and I have always stood by the fact that one is buying brand in Apple, just as a Harley Davidson rider does. This system has Lion on it which is amazing and, surprisingly enough, it also has Boot Camp with complete instructions on installing a dual boot system which I will be tackling before long. The tap issue with the touch pad isalso a drawback BUT BUT BUT learning and using multitouch scrolling on this is worlds easier than a PC and always dead on.

9. renosablast

renosablast Guest

...........The dark side can be VERY seductive................remember your training, Luke/Les.............focus............focus..................

10. The SSD Guy

Just finished installing BootCamp and Windows 7 and it was easier than a simple Windows Install! Now I have both OSX Lion and Win7 Ultimate running in separate environments on same Air... EXCELLENT!!!!

---------- Post added 27-Jun-12 at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was 26-Jun-12 at 11:24 PM ----------

Ok first gripe...and it is major!!!!! No right button is a PITA when you are running Windows 7 and mandates the plugging in of an external mouse. Very happy to have both operating systems running at full throttle right now and just started testing the SSD in Windows...will get that in an article I think!

11. Sean

Sean Guest

While I knew Apple used single-button mice long a time, I didn't realise that they still do today.

From a quick check on Apple's forum, the right-click can be performed by holding two fingers on the trackpad and pressing the trackpad button.

Another option is to enable the bottom-right corner of the trackpad to be a right-click, steps here.

12. The SSD Guy

Thanks boss...Tried the first option and it doesnt work with this new build and maybe its because the single click is built in... I will try the second later before I start the review... I am still floored that I have Windows 7 Ultimate and Lion both working side by side without any problems whatsoever on this.

13. Hameister

Hameister Guest

I think he's lost....perhaps forever....sad.

14. The SSD Guy

Ok second dislike!!!! WTF are those screws on this thing? There is not a 'close' bit around that works and now I hae to wait for the arrival of my new 1.2 Pentalobe?!?!?! Only for MacAirs ????

15. Sean

Sean Guest

Going by this Wiki article, they are Apple-specific screws and they even use different sizes of this screw on its iphone and MacBook Pro battery.

I do wonder why they use them, as anyone interested in getting inside is going to get that cover off one way or another. :D

16. Bad_Machine

Bad_Machine Guest

Personally I have never bought any Apple products. I have used Macs, iPods, iPhones and iPads that belonged to friends and colleagues, but I have always found this whole Apple proprietary thing immensely irritating.

This notion is further re-inforced by the proprietary screws on Les' new machine. WTF Apple? I also hate iTunes, hate it with the vengeance. I want to be able to load media files on my player without having to go through a stupid proprietary interace in order to do so...

17. The SSD Guy