How is performance according to capacity and number of drives installed?

Discussion in 'SSD Beginners Guide and Discussion' started by Martin Stebbing, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Martin Stebbing

Martin Stebbing New Member

Hi. I want to have 1TB of disc space on a new PC, as SSDs, but not as one large one. Performance-wise, is there anything to choose between a 250GB and a 500GB SSD (I am thinking of Samsung 850 EVOs), i.e. is it better in any way to have 4x250GBs or 2x500GBs, prices being about the same?

I suppose the greater number installed, the more chance that one will die on me, but that apart I feel 4x250GBs would give me more options. Or is there something I'm not considering?

Also, when I have multiple HDDs, I tend to install my files roughly evenly across all of them so that data (e.g. for gaming - specifically MS Flight Simulator) is read from each simultaneously. According to popular wisdom, and my own benchmarking, this speeds things up somewhat.

But in a system with say 4 identical SSDs, and no HDDs at all, is that necessary? Will the same data (mixture of small - a few kbs - and very large - over 100MBs - files) spread across 4 SSDs be read any faster than if it were all written to the same one? Or is there any advantage one way or the other to spreading data to be read over several SSD drives? Logic, tells me yes, it will, but again I am no expert here ....

Thanks.

2. Sean Webster

Sean Webster Das Schweebie Staff Member

I personally would suggest going with a single 1TB SSD over two 500GB drives in RAID 0. But. if you want to go the RAID route then do two 500GB drives. It isn't worth it to go with 4x 250GB imo.

Also, as with any system, make sure you have a good backup routine. I backup to my sever nightly and cloud storage real time. I also do bi-monthly backups as well.

3. Martin Stebbing

Martin Stebbing New Member

Hi,

Thanks. I wasn't considering any RAID option at all. I back up pretty frequently - after every major change to my setup and I make C drive images once a month or so (all to external HDD).
    I want more than one SSD, for various reasons. Yes, I think 4x250s was probably a bad idea, but I think 2 x 500GB Samsung 850 EVOs will suit the system well.