Freecom

Discussion in 'SSD Manufacturers' started by xgrep, Aug 27, 2014.

1. xgrep

xgrep New Member

I posted a request for opinions on this company's products, the mSSD in particular, in the beginners' forum on this website. So far, there are no replies, which suggests that very few Europeans are reading this website, since Freecom is a German company and its products are mainly available in Europe (but orderable in North America on the various Amazon European websites, and probably others).

Here's a link to the mSSD. It looks to be a very interesting product.

Freecom - MSSD - Solid State Drives - Products

Thanks in advance for any comments on this or any other Freecom SSD products.

2. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

I responded prior...have never heard of them. Sorry.

3. xgrep

xgrep New Member

Oh, sorry, I didn't see your reply (nor could I find it, but I'll keep searching).

In any case, I got one from amazon.it and ran Xbench on it (after reformatting with Mac OS X Disk Utility to GUID with one journaled HFS+ partition). Here's the result:

Freecom mSSD.jpg

Not sure why this image seems so small, but I'm assuming you can view it if you download it and open it in a suitable JPG viewer.

It seems quite fast, and I'm definitely not disappointed about that. Meanwhile, it's fairly attractive. It's not very heavy, so perhaps isn't as stylish as the Angelbird SSD2go, but it's a very small brushed aluminum USB 3.0 enclosure, which is what I was looking for (to use as a Time Machine disk that I keep in my pocket so my backup doesn't burn down with the Mac in a house fire). It comes with a short (1ft) white USB 3.0 cable that matches the Mac look nicely (if that's important). The cable is a bit stiff and the drive being so small and light, it doesn't sit flat on the desk. It says "made in Thailand" on it, for anyone who has a thing about that.

I'll be interested to hear if anyone else has any comments on it. Looks to be a decent product so far.