Asus z170 Premium - slow nvme and SATA

Discussion in 'Help and Support' started by besa, Sep 20, 2016.

1. besa

besa New Member

Hi,
    Just changed my computer.
    Had an Asus P8P67 Deluxe, a 2600k and a Samsung 850Pro 1Tb. I now have an Asus Z170 Premium, 6700k, same 850pro and a Samsung 950 Pro nvme 512Gb.

On my old P8P67 the 850 Pro was doing great (550Mb/s read and 500+ write speed). On the new one however, it's not the case anymore.

Indeed, i've got several issues :

1) 850Pro, plugged on SATA doesn't have the same speed anymore :It's now 400Mb/s read and 300Mb/s write.
    2) 950Pro, plugged to the M2 Port on the motherboard (Not the expansion PCIe card given along the motherboard) goes to 800Mb/s read speed and 500Mb/s write (Very far from all the reviews)

I have setup M2 drive to X4 in bios but it didn't change anything. Installed nvme drivers from Samsung (I'm on Windows 10) but it didn't help either.

I'm at a loss at what to do. The 850Pro speeds are unbelievable to me as it was working very well on my 5 y/o motherboard.

Are there any more things to change in bios?
    I can try to install the 950Pro on the PCIe expansion card (would it give me back the lost SATA ports from plugging it to M2 slot? ) but it probably won't help with my 850Pro.

Is there any special thing to do when you want to install OS on an nvme drive ? Just installed it on by selecting my nvme drive in Windows installation.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks!

2. besa

besa New Member

Hi,

Seems like no one can help

I tried to narrow down the issue and focused on the 950 Pro.
    Removed all SATA devices plugged in the MB.

Then i tried :

- 950 Pro in the nvme port -> no go, still poor speed
    - 950 Pro on the hyper M2 pcie expansion card, then in the PCIe16x_3 on the MB (the one sharing with onboard M2 Port on the MB) -> Poor Speed
    - 950 Pro on the hyper M2 pcie expansion card, then in the PCIe16x_2 on the MB (the one just next to the graphic card) -> BAM, Full Speed

I could leave it as is but it's really close to the graphic card and getting hot quickly ---> it throttles within a minute
    And to top it all it doesn't solve the poor SATA Speed on my others SSD (850pro : 380Mb/s read instead of 550Mb/s on my old MB and OCZ Agility 3 200Mb/s read instead of 450Mb/s)

I really don't know what to do for that nvme (or pcie16x_3) port...Must be Something wrong in the bios settings maybe ? I tried downgrading the bios, clearing CMOS, loading default and putting M2 on 4x within the bios but it didn't change anything. Bios seems a bit buggy as well as i can't change language (well, i choose another language but it doesn't do anything.
    Also, each time computer boots, it shows "(A7) Me Fw Downgrade - Request MeSpiLock Failed"...Really don't know if it's SATA related...

Here are screenshots of Samsung magician benchmarking the 950 pro :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any ideas?

Thanks

3. exoshop

exoshop New Member

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 and a Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb. I could achieve the rated speed for a couple of minutes. then I started to install everything back and now I've got the same results as you. I removed every SATA drive disabled SATA controller, reinstalled Windows 10 with only the chipset driver and NMVe Samsung driver, disable Windows write cache buffer. Still have the same results as you. Whatever I change in the bios doesn't change anything performance Wise. I've also put the ssd on the M.2 card provided with the board on PCIe16_3 slot and it give me full performance. As soon as I move it back to the M.2 socket on the mobo, it's back to the slow results.

EDIT: It was the intel ME firmware. A bug with it. Had to RMA the board.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  4. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

besa,

I guess I have to ask why you haven't upgraded that motherboard to more current boards compatible with newer technology???

exoshop... Glad you found the issue!