3. Most important things about consumer ssds?

Discussion in 'SSD Discussion' started by mqualls2, Mar 17, 2015.

1. mqualls2

mqualls2 New Member

1. Reliability! 2. How fast can it start/open programs? 3. What is the sustained copy speed? It seems that most new ssds can hit 500 read/write synthetic speeds. But what about the real world speeds? I would like a reliable ssd that can open my programs supper fast and transfer large files (say like 50gbs) or so and make backups consistently fast. I see Transfer speeds Start out at 500 then drop to 100. Is there an ssd that has a sustained transfer speed between 400-500? Any suggestions?

2. Takeshi

Takeshi New Member

I am not one of the gurus of SSDs, but I have read a lot of articles and reviews about them. If you are like the 99% of computer users out there, then the sequential speeds don't mean much at all to you. The random 4K reads and writes are what you should be concerned with. If I wasn't so tired right now I would go get and post links for you. Do not waste your money on the higher end SSDs, you will never notice a difference in performance as a standard desktop type user. Some good ones to consider are the Crucial BX100, MX100, MX200 and Samsung 850 EVO. From the ATTO Disk Benchmarks and CrystalDiskMarks posted on this site, any of these four will do an excellent job for you, However the Samsung 850 definitely has the best scores I have seen yet. If you don't need the power loss protection option available in the Crucial MX100 and MX200, I recommend the Samsung 850 EVO based on the two listed benchmarks. If you feel you need power loss protection, then either the MX100 or NX200. I think if Les Tokar or the other gurus on this web site were to advise you, they would say get the cheapest one of these listed here, as the performance of them is close.

If you go to The SSD Review (TSSDR) main site and read the reviews on the SSDs, you will learn a lot of valuable information about them. When I need information about SSDs, this site is always my first stop.

3. The SSD Guy

The SSD Guy Administrator Staff Member

Absolutely correct and great advise Takeshi... For the typical user, and SSD is a massive jump up on a hard drive!

4. Takeshi

Takeshi New Member

Right after I posted this I edited it and added a P.S. to it but it didn't show up. What I added was "Don't rule out the BX100, it is an excellent SSD and one I am thinking hard about getting for myself".

That is actually a bit of a paraphrase as I can't remember exactly how worded it. I have read the review of it here at TSSDR, and I find it very impressive. Too bad about the power loss protection omission, a few capacitors couldn't be that much of a cost saving. I feel EVERY SSD should include this feature as capacitors are relatively inexpensive. I have 3 computers and am experiencing abrupt shut-downs on 2 of them. I built them both around 2006/7 so it's about time to expect them to fail. For me, power loss is a big deal. With failing hardware, even my UPS cannot help save my data. And yes, I am currently shopping for new hardware. I was trying to hold off for Skylake but I'm afraid these computers will soon experience total failure.