The Adaptec card utilizes the low-profile MD2 form factor which measures 6.6″ x 2.536″ and keeps the overall footprint very small. The engine behind this RAID controller is the PMC-Sierra PM8013 Dual Core RAID on Chip (ROC).
The heatsink with the blue shrouding covers the ROC that is the brains of this unit. You can see a connector underneath the words “Adaptec” that is used for plugging in a ZMCP (Zero-Maintenance Cache Protection) module that we will cover later in the review. To the rear of the card you can see the two connectors for the 8087 cables that will allow each port to be connected to either a 4 drive SAS/SATA fanout, or an expander. Utilizing an expander this card can control up to 256 drives.
- Supports up to 256 SATA or SAS devices using SAS expanders
- RAID levels 0, 1, 1E, 5, 5EE, 6, 10, 50, 60 and JBOD
- Hybrid RAID 1 & 10
- Quick initialization
- Online Capacity Expansion
- Copyback Hot Spare
- Dynamic caching algorithm
- Native Command Queuing (NCQ)
- Background initialization
- Hot-plug drive support
- RAID Level Migration
- Hot spares – global, dedicated, and pooled
- Automatic/manual rebuild of hot spares
- SES and SAF-TE enclosure management
- Configurable stripe size
- S.M.A.R.T. support
- Multiple arrays per disk drive
- Dynamic sector repair
- Staggered drive spin-up
- Bootable array support
- Optimized Disk Utilization
- 6Gb/s performance Unified Serial RAID controllers support both SATA and SAS devices and offer unique features including Zero Maintenance
- Ideal for bandwidth intensive storage applications; NAS, online transaction processing servers (OLTP), web servers, digital surveillance and streaming applications.
- Customer Needs High I/O transaction and high bandwidth processing; solutions that reduce energy consumption and maintenance costs
- Zero Maintenance Cache Protection (extra unit)
Maximizes performance and extends power savings by protecting data in controller cache without incurring monitoring, replacement or
Support for full installation lifecycle up to ten years ensuring data availability and reducing total cost of ownership.
- Intelligent Power Management
Automated customer-configurable feature that reduces disk drive energy use by up to 70% without compromising application
performance. Two configurable modes supported:
Standby mode low-power mode; spins disks at lower RPMs (must be supported by disk drive).
Power-off mode Spin down drives when not in use.