The P400m enterprise SSD is available in capacities of 100, 200 and 400GB and SATA 3 performance is expected to be 350MB/s read and 300MB/s write with up to 55,000 IOPS read and 17,000 IOPS write at low 4k random aligned write disk access.
Contrary to what many might think, the secret of the P400m’s high endurance does not lie in the memory alone, but rather, in Micron’s new eXtended Performance and Enhanced Reliability Technology (XPERT). Utilizing Micron’s 25nm MLC NAND flash memory alongside XPERT, Micron is able to significantly improve SSD performance and reliability, all the while extending endurance significantly while ensuring data integrity.
“The growth in big data is placing tremendous pressure on IT administrators. Users require fast, on-demand access to data. This means data centers must deliver more data, faster than ever before—in an environment that has zero tolerance for data loss,” said Ed Doller, VP and general manager of Micron’s Enterprise SSD division. “Integrating flash storage into the data center is the preferred way administrators can meet these growing demands. The Micron P400m delivers the endurance, reliability, and performance critical for data center storage.”
With XPERT at its core, key features of the Micron P400m include:
- High Endurance – XPERT extends drive life, making the P400m perfect for write-intensive workloads. It is designed to achieve 10 drive fills per day for five years, which (for the 400GB drive) is the equivalent of writing every picture posted to Facebook daily for 311 days straight (about 78 billion photos total1).
- Superior Data Protection – The Micron P400m was designed with multiple features for data protection—including onboard power loss protection—providing peace of mind that your data is always right where it should be.
- Consistent High Performance – Consistent delivery of high throughput and IOPs are critical to providing the performance required in all-flash and tiered storage arrays (tiered storage groups place fast storage in front of slower, high-volume storage to create a versatile system that has both high performance and high capacity).
- Low Power – The Micron P400m consumes significantly less power than HDDs (dramatically less when measured in Watts per work achieved) and requires almost zero cooling.
- Low Latency – The P400m delivers reliably low latency times, which are critical to creating a storage system that can consistently respond to unpredictable demand spikes.
Last but not least, Micron has also released an excellent videio displaying the building of the SSD from the ground up: